One thing's for sure, it's the fourth Sunday of Lent!
As I spent the day reflecting on (and recovering from) this strange encounter, I came to realize that I'm really not all that personally offended by the exchange. After all, it was directed at the priesthood, which is Christ's, rather than at my person. [Well, alright, to be fair, it was directed at my execution of the duties of that office, not at the office itself. But, nonetheless it could hardly be a personal attack considering I never met the woman before.]
And that having been said, I am once again amazed at the weird belligerence that seems to be so commonplace in our world, or at least in our parishes, today. Is the modern world so difficult that we have to savage one another? Or are we so alienated from our genuine human life on earth that we must behave like demons to one another? A puzzle to be sure.
But, as the prayer of St. Ephrem petitions, "Grant me to see my own sins and not to judge my brother."
Lord, Jesus, come quickly to help us, save us, and have mercy on us!
But, as the prayer of St. Ephrem petitions, "Grant me to see my own sins and not to judge my brother."
Lord, Jesus, come quickly to help us, save us, and have mercy on us!

No comments:
Post a Comment